Ballet

My whole life I have loved to dance. You get those people who tell you that you're a good dancer and you're amazing, however you also get those people that say you can't dance because you do not look like the type or because your grades in dance in PE did not reflect you as a good enough dancer.

Lets start with a bit of background information about this situation. I started dance (ballet) when I was 2, I stopped when I was 6 then joined dance to do hip hop at 13, I then stopped again. Until when I was 15 I decided to make a stand and get over my fear of rejection and embarrassment as well as shyness, as a teenager I also wanted the perfect body and perfect weight. Whenever I looked in the mirror I saw fat and a chubby girl staring back at me, I was so self conscious when I was outside or if a photo was taken of me. So I wanted to change how I viewed myself and how I felt about myself. I joined a Ballet class at 15, I was so scared because I was thinking what if I am to fat to dance, because in my head ballerinas are skinny. In my mind I had to leave all the doubt behind and just move on. 

As weeks went on I talked to a few girls and gradually built relationships as well as my confidence, I could also see the change in me everyday, I felt happier and looking in the mirror now didn't feel like I was looking at a monster. As a 15 year old they had to put me in grade 3 it was totally new to me, what gave me hope and belief is that their were people my age and I knew I was not the only one.

Dance does not always need to be for professionals you can also do it recreationally: age, weight, height does not matter if you do not want it as a profession. Ever since I was a little girl I have dreamt about dancing on a big stage, however I can accept now that I only want to do it recreationally.

To those of you that have doubts about dance whether it be because of weight or age or anything,  let me tell you this, it does not matter because all that matters is you. You grow up leaving people behind or maybe even taking those special people with you but those who judge you will not have a say in your future. Dance has many benefits it includes: if you get graded in it if you reach grade 6 you can get points for University, you can make friends, keep healthy and fit, it is a hobby that helps with stress, you are welcomed into the dance community with open arms. What you have got to remember is if the going is tough it isn't over yet, when it is over it will be good and not bad. Nothing in life comes easy and sometimes you need to get over hurdles and be brave.

We all should support each other and any struggles you are trying to overcome, even if you think no one is there, there will always be someone.

I'll always support and keeping voting for you.
Josephine Beth-xx

Comments

Popular Posts